[Yum] Yum features

Howdy Ho,

We are getting set to move our yum testing from two people to ... alot more
(25 or 50).  Because of this I'll probrubly be posting alot more questions
and/or comments.  I'll probrubly also be posting my crontab, and any other
modifications I do, next week when I finish tweeking them.  (I can do shell
scripts quite well, but I'm not up to coding in python, other than reading the
code)

We have been using 0.9.1 and like it.  It seems quite stable and predictable
(at least to me).

Below is the next batch of feature requests.

Feature Requests

   Have some option so that yum just looks at it's cache instead of going to
the server and checking the headers again.
For nightly yum's this isn't a problem, but when you doing a compile (or
something) and you need to do lot's of 'yum list' and/or various 'yum
install', it get's a little slow when each time it goes and checks the
headers.  I would gladly put in a extra -C (for cache) so that it just uses
it's cache, and save the extra time.

   Somehow get the local headers smaller, maybe keep them gziped after the
download, or put them all in one big gzipped tarball.  They just get rather
large when you have alot of them.

   yum list [option]
      options to have
        all - Everything that there is, whether installed already or not.
What would be really nice would be something in a few collumns.  One column
that says what there is in the repository, the second column for if that
package is already installed, and the third column that says some type of
status, like 'same', 'upgradeable', 'notinstalled' or something.
         upgrade - List all of the packages that are already installed but can
be upgraded.  You could do two coloumns here as well, with new and current
version.
         install - List all the packages that arn't installed and can be
installed.
         ui - list packages that can be upgraded and/or installed.  (What yum
does now).  But have them in the columns like we have for all.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group