[Crash-utility] Re: seek error when loading /proc/kcore with type: "page_offset_base"

Hi Jose,

On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 2:46 PM Jose Fernandez <jose.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24/08/05 02:30PM, Tao Liu wrote:
> > For live debug, I noticed for cachyos, kallsyms will output 0 address
> > for kernel symbols even as root:
> >
> > [root@cachyos-x8664 ~]# cat /proc/kallsyms |less
> > 0000000000000000 A fixed_percpu_data
> > 0000000000000000 A __per_cpu_start
> > 0000000000000000 A cpu_debug_store
> > 0000000000000000 A irq_stack_backing_store
> > [root@cachyos-x8664 ~]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
> > 2
> >
> > This would prevent crash to detect the kaslr info. To avoid this,
> > please enable the address presenting by:
> >
> > [root@cachyos-x8664 ~]# echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
> > [root@cachyos-x8664 ~]# cat /proc/kallsyms |less
> > 0000000000000000 A fixed_percpu_data
> > 0000000000000000 A __per_cpu_start
> > 0000000000001000 A cpu_debug_store
> > 0000000000002000 A irq_stack_backing_store
> >
> > then invoke the crash for live debug will have no problem.
>
> Tao, thanks for surfacing this. I'm curious why the commit that Kazu referenced
> also appears to solve the problem. I can get live debug to work when I compile
> crash from HEAD without enabling the addresses. Do you know why?
>
> https://github.com/crash-utility/crash/commit/6752571d8d782d07537a258a1ec8919ebd1308ad

Not sure... If your crash didn't have the above patch integrated, then
it definitely will fail. I compiled the upstream crash on the cachyos,
which already have the patch, but failed due to the 0 address in
kallsyms for live debug, after setting kptr_restrict then it worked. I
guess your env is not the same as mine...

Thanks,
Tao Liu