Re: linux-next broke module_init()

On 2023/03/31 15:28, lijiang wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 11:11 AM HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) <k-hagio-ab@xxxxxxx <mailto:k-hagio-ab@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 2023/02/16 16:55, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) wrote:
>      > Hi Alex,
>      >
>      > On 2023/02/15 21:26, Alexander Egorenkov wrote:
>      >> Hi,
>      >>
>      >> it seems this linux-next patch https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230207002802.2514802-1-song@xxxxxxxxxx/ <https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230207002802.2514802-1-song@xxxxxxxxxx/>
>      >> broke module_init().
>      >
>      > Thank you for the early notice!
>      >
>      > ugh... module memory regions now scattered?
>
>     I've been looking into this, but it seems like we have to rewrite a
>     very wide range of code related to modules and symbols, which assumes
>     that each module's memory region is basically only one block.
>
>     Probably the kernel patch will get merged into the mainline at v6.4.
>     crash may take some time to support.
>
>     Until finished, "crash --no_module" option can be used for linux-next
>     without module functionality.
>
>         $ crash --no_modules vmlinux vmcore
>         WARNING: no kernel module access
>
>         crash>
>

>     Lianbo, my current working tree is here:
>     https://github.com/k-hagio/crash/tree/6.4-module.wip1 <https://github.com/k-hagio/crash/tree/6.4-module.wip1>
>

> Nice work, Kazu.
>
>     but now it can just startup and run "mod" command.  Other commands
>

> At least for me, good news.
>
> I'm still working on some crash tool bugs(reported by customers).

Thank you for working on the bugs.

> But we can still talk about it here or offline.
> Later, I will also test and investigate it more.
>
>     can cause a segmentation fault.
>
> Have you got a core dump file? Or It is clear for now why it failed.

Ah yes, it's clear, because the current patch still does not support
other commands and most of symbol functions fail.  I'm working on
making it support them one by one.  so it's just to share the current
status with you.

(what a severe change for crash...)

Thanks,
Kazu