Re: ALSA kernel projects - for academic purposes

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 07:26:08PM -0300, Geraldo Nascimento wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:28:01PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:02 PM Valdis Klētnieks
> > <valdis.kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not an academicist by far but if you want your patches to be academic,
> I think it's more of a question of scientific rigour and scientific
> method,

No - it is an issue of education.  They are trying to learn something
that they don't already know.  The contribution is they become educated.

> such that when the patch(set) is finally accepted by the Linux
> community and Linus Torvalds ultimately, you can write a paper about
> it.

They are not writing a paper for Linus.  They are writing it for their
dean or mentor.

> Obviously there are a lot of things an academicist could bring from his
> background to improve the Linux kernel,

Yeah - but that is not what they are trying to do.  And if that was the
case, this would likely not be the list for it, since this is a newbies
list.

> My suggestion is to ask Takashi Iwai if he has in mind

BOINK - the doesn't need a new student dragging on his tail and if he
did then he would chose an intern to help with his code.

You are failing to understand how higher education works.