Re: non-root bridge set-up on Fedora 39 aarch64

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 07:18:06PM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 2/19/24 10:21 AM, Chuck Lever wrote:
> > Hello-
> >
> > I'm somewhat new to the libvirt world, and I've encountered a problem
> > that needs better troubleshooting skills than I have. I've searched
> > Google/Ecosia and stackoverflow without finding a solution.
> >
> > I set up libvirt on an x86_64 system without a problem, but on my
> > new aarch64 / Fedora 39 system, virsh doesn't seem to want to start
> > virbr0 when run from my own user account:
> >
> > cel@boudin:~/kdevops$ virsh net-start default
> > error: Failed to start network default
> > error: error creating bridge interface virbr0: Operation not permitted
>

> If you run virsh as a normal user, it will auto-create an unprivileged
> ("session mode") libvirt instance, and connect to that rather than the
> single privileged (ie. run as root) libvirt instance that is managed by
> systemd. Because this libvirt is running as a normal user with no elevated
> privileges, it is unable to create a virtual network.
>

> What you probably wanted to do was to connect to the system-wide privileged
> libvirt, you can do this by either running virsh as root (or with sudo), or
> by using
>

>   # virsh -c qemu:///system
>

> rather than straight "virsh". Whichever method you choose, you'll want to do
> that for all of your virsh commands, both for creating/managing networks and
> guests.

These are wrapped up in scripts and ansible playbooks, so I'll have
to dig through that to figure out which connection is being used.
Strange that this all works on my x86_64 system, but not on aarch64.

Thanks for the pointer... the first two or three times I found this
advice on the Internet, I guess it didn't sink in ;-)

--
Chuck Lever