Re: trustGuestRxFilters broken after upgrade to Debian 12

On 1/22/24 1:55 AM, Yalan Zhang wrote:
Hi Paul,

May I know the purpose of  "trustGuestRxFilters='yes'" setting in your configuration?
Refer to [1], currently this "trustGuestRxFilters" parameter  is only supported for the virtio device model and for macvtap connections on the host.
The hostdev type interface may not support it.

You are correct, trustGuestRxFilters is only for virtio emulated devices. It does nothing for hostdev network interfaces (or even for other non-virtio emulated network devices, afaik).

My guess is that either qemu previously ignored the "query-rx-filter" command when it was received for a hostdev device and now it is (correctly) returning an error, or that libvirt previously just ignored that setting for <interface> when it resolved to a hostdev (similar to how it ignores <model name='blah'/> if the interface resolves to a hostdev), and now due to refactoring it is mistakenly issuing the query-rx-filter command.

At any rate, whatever functionality you think you are getting from trustGuestRxFilters, you aren't actually getting it. libvirt should ignore that setting (it can't prohibit it, because at the time the guest is configured it doesn't know that the interface might end up being a hostdev), but in the meantime you can solve the problem by removing trustGuestRxFilters from your config.

Thank you.

BR,
Yalan