Re: Status of Microsoft Hyper-V driver

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:30:12PM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
Hi,

This is my first post to this forum, hello everyone!

I come here with zero experience with libvirt which
I have just started learning [1] and my current interest
is about the Hyper-V support and the driver [2] status.

Could anyone point me where to look in order to  learn
about the currently available Hyper-V capabilities in libvirt?
Are there any libvirt API usage examples targeting Hyper-V?

The table at the bottom of the driver page [2] lists
Windows Server 2012, 2016 and 2019 only.

The bottom only shows examples how the version numbers are calculated.
The top of the page says:

  The libvirt Microsoft Hyper-V driver can manage Hyper-V 2012 R2 and
  newer.

but I must say that I have never tried to use it and do not know how
much true this is and how much backward compatible their API is.

What Windows Server 2022, is this just an omission
in the docs or it specifically is not supported?

I'm not sure what the kernel version there is, but I don't see why it
should not be supported.

The driver also received some love not so long ago (say 2 years, which
is better than some other ones), so I would just say use it and let us
know ;)

[1] https://gist.github.com/mloskot/63f4535e5850e74cef542121dfd2dca2
[2] https://libvirt.org/drvhyperv.html

Best regards,