Re: Shared memory usage

On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 09:45:23AM +0000, Sánta, Márton (ext) via Users wrote:
Dear Users,

I tried out shared memory using libvirt. When I configure it in the XML
(ivshmem-plain), I have to provide a name for it and after starting the
VM I can see the appropriate file on the host in the /dev/shm/
directory. My problem is that I could not find any official
documentation about the usage of that shared memory. On the guest side,
I have found the PCI device related to it, but I do not know how to use
it. Is there any available command line tool to read from or write to
this memory or is it only possible with a user application? Could you
provide my what is the most common solution for this?

Hi,

ivshmem is something you probably want to use only if you have a
specific need.  Maybe looking at other solutions would be more suitable.

In any case you can check out the documentation from QEMU here:

https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/specs/ivshmem-spec.html

Thank you in advance for your reply and help!

Best regards,

Márton Sánta

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee and contains confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
Furthermore, please do not copy the message or disclose the contents to anyone unless agreed otherwise. To the extent permitted by law we shall in no way be liable for any damages, whatever their nature, arising out of transmission failures, viruses, external influence, delays and the like.