Re: which daemon/service for live migration - ?

On 17/04/2023 15:34, Peter Krempa wrote:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 14:39:18 +0200, lejeczek wrote:

On 17/04/2023 14:31, Peter Krempa wrote:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 14:24:32 +0200, lejeczek wrote:
On 17/04/2023 12:27, Peter Krempa wrote:
On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 08:54:57 +0200, lejeczek wrote:
[...]

So I wonder - if that is the business logic here - if man pages which are
already are very good, could enhance even more to explain those bits too...
The proxy daemon is necessary when you need very old clients which don't
support the modular topology to work with the modern daemon topology.

That's not a strict migration requirement though as you can run the
migration from a modern client. In case you are migrating *from* an
older daemon, that would mean that you can't use '--p2p' mode.

They are all the same - in my case - decently modern - in my mind - servers
& clients.
It is all Centos 9 Stream with everything from default repos up-to-date.
Are those "old"?
No, that is fine. I forgot about the fact that 'virtproxyd' is required
when you want to use TLS because I always use SSH as transport.

And even if so then my suggestion - to explain & include all that, that
modular relevance to certain operations, in man pages - I still share.
That will certainly safe admins like myself, good chunks of time.
The man page for 'virtqemud' states in second paragraph:

   The virtqemud daemon only listens for requests on a local Unix domain
   socket. Remote off-host access and backwards compatibility with legacy
   clients expecting libvirtd is provided by the virtproxy daemon.

If you think more explanation is needed then please submit a issue and
describe your request and suggestion how you'd like that to be worded.

I do. I did - I said that it appeared to be more specific.
I said:
"
migration with 'qemu+tls' fails if receiving node does not have 'virtproxyd-tls.socket' up&running, even though 'virtproxyd.socket' & 'virtqemud.service' are running on that node.
"
I said - if that is the business logic, also for 'tcp' - then those would certainly be worth an explanation in man pages. Saves many some time.