Re: Xen with libvirt and SR-IOV

On 3/24/23 09:22, nospam@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Jim,

thank you very much for your answers!

Unfortunately I was busy with some other things, so couldn't look at it earlier.

That's an old libvirt, but there hasn't been a lot of changes to the PCI passthrough code. One notable change that came with libvirt 6.8.0

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commit/9d15647dcb96831c93ac8c1d67c47265b5ed9072

However, that wouldn't be needed unless you were using the 'permissive' setting in your xl config.

I see, current version is somewhere at 9.x. But I'm not sure, if it's possible to upgade the servers to a new version of libvirt, I assume, that I also would have to upgrade Xen to the latest version.

I know it's not complete, but https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html makes an attempt to identify hypervisor support for the various configuration settings.

I found this:

"if you are using a version of libvirt older than 0.9.11, you should use standard <hostdev> to assign the device to the guest instead of <interface type='hostdev'/>."

I think that 6.6 is newer than 0.9.11? Or do I have 0.6.6 in real?

You have 6.6.0, which is much newer than 0.9.11 :-).

Ah, xen-pciback is already bound to the device, so no need for managed='yes' in your device config. The 'managed' attribute tells libvirt whether or not to manage attaching/detaching drivers to/from the device. If you've done that elsewhere, set managed='no', or simply drop the attribute since 'no' is the default. It's explained in the 'pci' attribute of the hostdev element

https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#usb-pci-scsi-devices

I set this to "no", as you expected it didn't changed anything.

Are there any errors from xen-pciback in dom0, or any hints in the output of 'xl dmesg'? Also, it might be worth comparing the relevant nodes in the output of xenstore-ls between VM started with xl and libvirt.

I already had compared some informations between XL and libvirt, see my very first message. Unfortunately there are no errors in the logs, it's just not working.

I may have missed it, but I don't see that you checked the output of xenstore-ls and 'xl list --long <vm-name>'. Can you compare the output of those commands when the VM is started with xl and with libvirt?

Regards,
Jim