Re: MemoryBacking options

[Once again, I ask you to keep the list on the CC. In gmail's web UI
it's the 'Reply to all' button].

On 10/22/22 11:19, Simon Fairweather wrote:
> Is there a way to limit the shared memory allocated via Libvirt to
> memory backing?

Yes, there is.
On the top level there's /domain/memoryBacking [1] that serves as the
default value for the guest. Then, under /domain/cpu/numa/cell [2]
individual guest NUMA nodes are configured and each can have @memAccess
attribute which overrides the top level setting (=memoryBacking). And
finally, under /domain/devices/memory [3] individual RAM modules can be
configured, and each one can have @access attribute which overrides both
top level AND guest NUMA node setting.

For instance:

<domain>
  <maxMemory slots='16' unit='GiB'>8</maxMemory>
  <memory unit='GiB'>5</memory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <access mode='private'/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <cpu>
    <numa>
      <cell id='0' memory='2' unit='GiB' memAccess='shared'/>
      <cell id='1' memory='2' unit='GiB' />
    </numa>
  </cpu>
  <devices>
    <memory model='dimm' access='private'>
      <target>
        <size unit='GiB'>1</size>
        <node>0</node>
      </target>
    </memory>
  </device>
</domain>

Here, the guest NUMA node 0 is going to be shared, except for DIMM
module attached to it (which is going to be private) and NUMA node 1 is
going to be private again.

Michal

1: https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#memory-backing
2: https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#cpu-model-and-topology