Re: Public IP on virtual machine network issue

On 2/14/22 10:18 AM, Tom Ammon wrote:
Laine,

Though I can't remember the particulars, I have a vague memory of the sysctl settings in that article indeed solving the problem of traffic not being forwarded on the bridge when I had configured no filtering on the guest - hence my attempt to share what worked for me. Perhaps it would be good to update that page.

Yeah, I had completely forgot of its existence until there were two unrelated references suddenly made to it in the last week.

I looked around for a link to create an account on the libvirt wiki but could find none. I'm happy to go do some more research around the items you mentioned and add a quick note to that page to keep from leading people astray in the future, if I could get an account on the wiki. Do you know how I would do that?

I actually tried to update the article after this second reference, and found that my password no longer works. Awhile back the decision was made to deprecate the wiki and slowly move content into "knowledgebase" articles that are included in the project git repo, and I think the wiki may have been made read-only at that time. I had planned to ask about that in IRC yesterday, but either forgot, or it was too late to catch anyone by the time I asked (I've even forgotten what happened yesterday :-/)

Anyway, even in the days when the wiki was "active", automatic account creation was disabled to prevent spam articles, so creating an account required sending a message to danpb asking for an account; these days I think he'd just say "don't bother - it's going away anyway".

Thanks anyway for the offer to update it though (and also for piping in with the idea in the first place - hopefully my response didn't come off as discouraging responses - even though it wasn't the source of the problem this time, next time yours might be the idea that solves the issue :-)).

I'll try to take care of the wiki article in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Tom

    https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call_and_sysctl.conf
    <https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call_and_sysctl.conf>

    <https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call_and_sysctl.conf
    <https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call_and_sysctl.conf>>

    That information is *very* out of date; the situation has changed quite
    a lot since that was written in 2014.

    Filtering of packets traversing a bridge device are now only
    filtered if
    the br_netfilter module is loaded, which isn't done by default. It *is*
    autoloaded if certain types of iptables rules are added(I can't
    remember
    the details of the type of rule though - there was a bug in iptables a
    year or so ago where autoload of br_netfilter was triggered by libvirt
    attempting to *remove* a rule of whatever type it was).

    Anyway, unless "lsmod | grep br_netfilter" shows that you have
    br_netfilter loaded, this entire path is a red herring (if you do have
    it loaded, unload it, and try to figure out why it was loaded).

    (Interestingly, this is the 2nd time this particular outdated page has
    come up in the last week. Has something else broken somewhere that's
    causing people to search out this page?)

    <marcin@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:marcin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     > <mailto:marcin@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:marcin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
     >
     >     I have been struggling with this for weeks and I was unable
    to find an
     >     answer on line. Perhaps someone here can help me.
     >
     >     Oracle linux 8 running virtualization:
     >
     >     hardware node has a public IP address on interface bridge0
    and physical
     >     eno1 is a member of the bridge0
     >
     >     a virtual OS has interface bridged to lan and source is
    bridge0, Ip
     >     address of virtual OS is also a public from same class as the
     >     hardware node.
     >
     >     I can route in and out of virtual, I can ping from hardware
    node to
     >     virtual and vice versa, so the routing works as it should,
    sort of.

     >     When I try tracepath or traceroute from outside to virtual I
    get !H on
     >     last hup
     >
     >     same result when I try to do the same form hardware node to
    virtual
     >     I get !H
     >
     >     Also, when I telnet (TCP) to a specific port on virtual where
    I have a

    <mailto:thomasammon@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:thomasammon@xxxxxxxxx>>