Re: Public IP on virtual machine network issue

On 2/13/22 5:38 PM, Tom Ammon wrote:
Can you post the output of iptables -L?

By default, the bridge module in the kernel sends packets traversing the bridge to iptables (in the FORWARD chain I believe) for processing. So if you have configured a DENY policy on the FORWARD chain, or are otherwise filtering in the forward chain, you'll be affecting packets traversing the bridge. Check out this page for details on how to change this behavior: https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call_and_sysctl.conf <https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call_and_sysctl.conf>

That information is *very* out of date; the situation has changed quite a lot since that was written in 2014.

Filtering of packets traversing a bridge device are now only filtered if the br_netfilter module is loaded, which isn't done by default. It *is* autoloaded if certain types of iptables rules are added(I can't remember the details of the type of rule though - there was a bug in iptables a year or so ago where autoload of br_netfilter was triggered by libvirt attempting to *remove* a rule of whatever type it was).

Anyway, unless "lsmod | grep br_netfilter" shows that you have br_netfilter loaded, this entire path is a red herring (if you do have it loaded, unload it, and try to figure out why it was loaded).

(Interestingly, this is the 2nd time this particular outdated page has come up in the last week. Has something else broken somewhere that's causing people to search out this page?)

Tom