Re: frequent network collapse possibly due to bridging

On 1/24/22 17:29, Hakan E. Duran wrote
Then due to its inactive status, I thought it would be a good idea to
start it with:

$sudo virsh net-start default
Network default started

Of note, even though the default network was marked as inactive as
above, it was working. In other words, I was able to reach the VMs,
which are part of that network, even before the `virsh net-start
default` command. Nothing seemed to break with the command either, and
everyting still seemed to work afterwards.

$sudo virsh net-info default
Name:           default
UUID:           some-number
Active:         yes
Persistent:     yes
Autostart:      yes
Bridge:         virbr0

I would really appreciate if you can confirm that this is the desired
state for my network for the purposes I discussed previously. I
apologize if I am oversimplifying things here, it is because of my lack
of in-depth understanding the appropriate set up.

Seeing as there are no other replies yet, for what it's worth,
on my hypervisor I see similar results for a working system,
and to my knowledge it's all running correctly:

    # virsh net-info default
    Name:           default
    UUID:           32ecb497-5a0b-46fd-9786-df4a6ceec9ce
    Active:         yes
    Persistent:     yes
    Autostart:      yes
    Bridge:         virbr0

Also, this from my library of scripts:

# ---- cut here ----
#!/bin/bash
#
# Yury V. Zaytsev <yury@xxxxxxxxxx> (C) 2011
# cf. http://git.zaytsev.net/?p=anubis-puppet.git;a=blob;f=manifests/files/common/network-restart
#
# This work is herewith placed in public domain.
#
# Use this script to cleanly restart the default libvirt network after its
# definition have been changed (e.g. added new static MAC+IP mappings) in order # for the changes to take effect. Restarting the network alone, however, causes # the guests to lose connectivity with the host until their network interfaces
# are re-attached.
#
# The script re-attaches the interfaces by obtaining the information about them
# from the current libvirt definitions. It has the following dependencies:
#
#   - virsh (obviously)
#   - tail / head / grep / awk / cut
#   - XML::XPath (e.g. perl-XML-XPath package)
#
# Note that it assumes that the guests have exactly 1 NAC each attached to the # given network! Extensions to account for more (or none) interfaces etc. are,
# of course, most welcome.
#
# ZYV
#

set -e
set -u

NETWORK_NAME=default
NETWORK_HOOK=/etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu

virsh net-define /opt/config/libvirt/network-$NETWORK_NAME.xml
virsh net-destroy $NETWORK_NAME
virsh net-start $NETWORK_NAME

MACHINES=$( virsh list | tail -n +3 | head -n -1 | awk '{ print $2; }' )

for m in $MACHINES ; do

    MACHINE_INFO=$( virsh dumpxml "$m" | xpath /domain/devices/interface[1] 2> /dev/null )     MACHINE_MAC=$( echo "$MACHINE_INFO" | grep "mac address" | cut -d '"' -f 2 )     MACHINE_MOD=$( echo "$MACHINE_INFO" | grep "model type" | cut -d '"' -f 2 )

    set +e
    virsh detach-interface "$m" network --mac "$MACHINE_MAC" && sleep 3
    virsh attach-interface "$m" network $NETWORK_NAME --mac "$MACHINE_MAC" --model "$MACHINE_MOD"
    set -e

    $NETWORK_HOOK "$m" stopped && sleep 3
    $NETWORK_HOOK "$m" start

done