Re: Best way to install guest when it is not listed in output of osinfo-query os

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 06:52:46AM +0100, john doe wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to install Debian Bullseye using virt-install, as part of
> the command I usually specify the OS used with the option '--os-variant'.
> This works great untill Buster ('debian10'), but now the guest is
> Bullseye ('debian11') and is not listed in the output of 'osinfo-query
> os' (1).
>
> If I don't use the '--os-variant' flag I get the following warning:
>
> "WARNING  No operating system detected, VM performance may suffer.
> Specify an OS with --os-variant for optimal results."
>

> Should I ignore the warning or what is the best way forward to install a
> Debian Bullseye guest?
>
> Both the host and the guest are  Debian 11.
>
> 1)  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/12/msg00742.html

You can just use '--os-variant debian10', it will work fine.

Alternatively, you can install a newer version of the osinfo database
by using osinfo-db-import. Doing so is probably overkill for your use
case.

Pino, do you think it would make sense to rebase osinfo-db in the
next Debian 11 update? Or at least cherry-pick the debian11 entry so
that things work as expected when creating a Debian 11 VM on a Debian
11 host? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=980744 was
AFAICT intended to achieve just that.