Re: virsh create fails with "Unable to find any firmware to satisfy 'efi'" for aarch64 guest on macOS

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 2:28 AM Ján Tomko <jtomko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you try with the latest libvirt?
> 7.10.0-rc2 was just tagged today and should be out this week:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-announce/2021-November/msg00002.html

Ah, but it looks like the arm64 -> VIR_ARCH_AARCH64 patch
(https://github.com/ihsakashi/libvirt/commit/0f062221ae23e6ea0ed5e6ba65d47395581cb143.patch)
is still in limbo? AFAICT that's the main issue I'm hitting now.

> Andrea did some fixes that are supposed to help with Apple Silicon:
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/168

Yes, I happened to find that thread a little while after posting here
and it has lots of tips but didn't directly address my confusion
regarding how to manually specify the files. But based on the
"internal error: undefined hardware architecture" I'm now getting I
think I will need some of the patches.

For now I've just wrestled through direct usage of QEMU from the
command line as ironically this whole exercise was to try keeping
random build chains off my main "shiny new" macOS install itself.
Thanks for the pointers and glad these issues are gradually getting
worked out. I think I just must still be in the early adopters on the
M1 platform and hit some growing pains!

thanks again,
-natevw