Re: Fwd: Installing virtiofs drivers on Windows 11....

I've been lucky to find a compatriot :) Sometimes time happens and it makes me feel happy. You are right. I got confused. I've thought virtio-9p working depended on virtiofs working. Anyway, neither of those functions works :( Anyway I'm not sure that the right place to ask this question is the bhyve ML. It seems more a problem of Device drivers and Windows 11.

Il giorno lun 29 nov 2021 alle ore 19:21 Andrea Bolognani <abologna@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 06:15:40PM +0100, Mario Marietto wrote:
> Hello to everyone.
>
> I'm testing Windows 11 with bhyve and I've found an annoying problem that
> prevents me from completing some tasks that I'm working on.
>
> It seems that the virtio-9p driver does not work inside the Windows 11 os
> emulated with bhyve and maybe also with qemu-kvm. When Windows 11 is
> launched,I don't see the folder "mnt" mounted on the root folder of Windows
> 11. Below you can see which bhyve parameters I've used :
>
> bhyve -S -c 4 -m 8G -w -H \
> -s 0,hostbridge \
> -s 1,ahci-cd,/home/marietto/Downloads/virtio/virtio-win-0.1.208.iso \
> -s 2,ahci-hd,/mnt/da0p1/Backups/OS/bhyve/Windows/win11.img \
> -s 3,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1440,h=900,wait \
> -s 8,virtio-net,tap0 \
> ----> -s 9,virtio-9p,sharename=/mnt \
> -s 30,xhci,tablet \
> -s 31,lpc \
> -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
> vm0

You're cross-posting this to the libvirt users and virt-tools
developers list, and yet you seem to be running bhyve directly so
neither libvirt nor virt-manager are involved.

I assume that a support list for bhyve users exists. That would be
the appropriate forum to ask for help.

Anyway, since I'm already replying...

> Investigating a little bit more and reading from this tutorial :
>
> https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html
>
> I've realized that there should be some problem with the WinFsp
> <http://www.secfs.net/winfsp> - Windows File System Proxy and or with the
> virtiofs PCI device driver because I'm not able to enable the virtiofs
> service with the command used on the tutorial :
>
> C:\> sc start VirtioFsSvc
>
> it gives the error : "the dependency service does not exist or it has
> been marked for the elimination.

... I will point out that virtio-9p and virtiofs are two completely
different things. You've configured the former in the host, and are
trying to access data using the latter in the guest. That's not going
to work.

I could not find confirmation that either bhyve supports virtiofs or
that 9p can be used from Windows from a quick search. I'm afraid you
might be wading into entirely uncharted territory.

> I've attached some screenshots to help you to understand what's happening.
>
> https://ibb.co/m5vm1hd
> https://ibb.co/Qd6TS5d
> https://ibb.co/3018SGd

I highly recommend changing your OS' language to English before
grabbing screenshots. Limiting the pool of people who might be able
to help you to those who can understand Italian is unlikely to make
things any easier for you ;)

Mario.