Re: Libvirt + Debian Live = Heart Attack

Hey Martin, wow thanks for the detailed info!

I'll definitely look into this, but I kind of figured it out, I believe.

So, I keep the images in the read-only squashfs, boot the live system and use snapshot writeback:
virsh snapshot-create-as with options --disk-only --diskspec

This pretty much fixes my problem, and only disk writes occur in tmpfs, instead of the entire image being copied.

BUT, now I have to reduce the disk space within the  VM to almost 0 to save space.

I'm reading up on qemu-img convert and virt-sparsify to accomplish this, but I will also try your method now, it seems more professional.

Thank you for your amazing input and patience, I love this community. Sharing this information is the literal definition of freedom IMO, thank you all!

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021, 11:40 AM Martin Kletzander <mkletzan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 06:21:22PM +0100, Elias Mobery wrote:
>Hey Martin & Michal, thank you both for the replies!
>
>Yes, sorry I messed up that seclabel entry, thanks. I fixed it and there is
>no more error, but the images are still copied unfortunately.
>
>@Michal yes, I have been reading the Debian Live Manual like a contract,
>after messing with qemu.conf and permissions for days, I think its
>something in the live build and not libvirt.
>
>@Martin yeah both virsh start and virt-manager cause the images to be
>copied to /run..... first.
>
>Yes, when I boot the Debian Live ISO, plug in the USB (mounted rw), copy
>the images to the live system from the USB and click run in virt-manager,
>the VM starts instantly and no copies are made in /run....
>
>I use ISO loopback and toram to load the system directly into ram via tmpfs
>mount. That's my grub.cfg
>
>menuentry "debian-live.iso" { set iso="/ISO/debian-live.iso" set
>root=(hd0,5) loopback loop $iso linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz-4.19.0-6-amd64
>boot=live components toram findiso=$iso initrd
>(loop)/live/initrd.img-4.19.0-6-amd64 }
>
>So, the squashfs is mounted read-only in
>/run/live/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs and its /dev/loop1
>
>/proc/mounts says:
>
>tmpfs /run/live/overlay rw
>overlay rw  lowerdir=/run/live/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs
>upperdir=/run/live/overlay/rw  (same place where the images are copied)

I do not think this is relevant, but sometimes overlayfs wants to have a
workdir as well.

>So you think that because the images are part of the squashfs which is
>read-only, they are first copied to /run/live/overlay/rw... to be written
>to?

Are they really copied?  I can't think of many more things why this
would happen.  Maybe some locking code does that in the backend (both
libvirt and qemu lock parts of the disks).

>I always thought that tmpfs is mounted on top of squash, so it's as if the
>squashfs were writable, without having to literally copy between the two
>filesystems.

It is not mounted over, if you mount over something you lose the
lowerdir, that's why it needs to be done with overlayfs which does the
copy-on-write.

That leads me to another idea.  Since you want copy-on-write for the
images, I presume, the image will get copied anyway once the guest
writes even a single byte to the image.  Unfortunately overlayfs is not
the best way for this scenario due to the granularity it offers
(per-file, not per-block or anything smaller).  What I think you
actually want in this case is to have a qcow image with the original
image used as backing.  You can create those with libvirt or even
without it, just using qemu-img, for example like this:

   qemu-img create -b /path/to/non-modified.image -f qcow2 -F
   format_of_backing_file /path/to/new-image.qcow2

For more information please read the qemu-img manual page to make sure
you use it properly, I just wrote the above from the top of my head, not
tested it.  The backing file path can also be relative.

If you specify the new image for the machines then the granularity
changes to way smaller blocks than the whole file making it occupy
less space in case of changes.

>Also I made the same build with Virtualbox and there is no copying of the
>images to /run/live/overlay.
>
>I will do some serious research into squashfs and tmpfs rn.

If you want to figure out when it happens I would suggest enabling debug
logs for libvirt, starting the qemu VM with --paused, but maybe it will
need some more debugging on lower layers.  Anyway I really believe the
approach suggested above is what will lead to better results for you.

Have a nice day
Martin