Re: Libvirt + Debian Live = Heart Attack

On 11/23/21 17:25, Elias Mobery wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've built a Debian Live ISO with packages qemu and libvirt to run a VM
> in the live environment.
>
> The guest images are placed in  /var/lib/libvirt/images and 2GB each.
>
> Everything works great, except for one issue.
>
> When starting a VM, libvirt automatically issues a chown command to the
> images, changing ownership.
>
> This results in a copy of the images being created in
> /run/live/overlay/rw/var/lib/libvirt/images
>
> I don't want these copies to be made but can't stop it.
>
> I've tried editing qemu.conf user/group, dynamic ownership etc. without
> any luck.
>
> Is there a way to STOP libvirt from changing the ownership of these images?

Setting dynamic_ownership=0 in qemu.conf is the way to go (don't forget
to restart the daemon after you made the change).

Alternatively, you can set <seclabel/> either for whole domain or
individual disks, e.g. like this:

  <disk type='file' device='disk'>
    <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
    <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/vm1.qcow2'>
      <seclabel relabel='no'/>
    </source>
  </disk>

or for whole domain:

    </devices>
    <seclabel type='none'/>
  </domain>

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if chown() is a problem then what
if guest tries to write onto its disk? Wouldn't that create a copy in
overlay?

Michal