Re: Reintroduce "allocate entire disk" checkbox on virt-manager

Il 26-06-2018 23:49 Cole Robinson ha scritto:
I see it as another test case and larger UI surface in the common path
for something that will save clicks for a corner case. I still don't see
it asworth exposing in the UI.

- Cole

I can not force this decision, obviously. However, let me recap why I found it important to have the "allocate disk now" checkbox:

- RAW files, even sparse one, are faster than Qcow2 files in the long run (ie: when block allocation is >8 GB); - Qcow2 snapshots have significant gotchas (ie: the guest is suspended during the snapshot), while using RAW files will at least prevent using virt-manager snapshot feature without thinking; - on CoW filesystems, using Qcow2 files will means *double* CoW with a) reduced performance and b) more wear on SSDs; - on filesystems not supporting fallocate, libvirtd reverts to "write zeroes to the entire file) which is both a) very slow and b) detrimental to SSDs life; - most other virtualization platform (old virt-manager and current oVirt included) split the choice of file format from the allocation policy.

I 100% agree that, using the custom disk creation mask, what I ask it entirely possible with virt-manager today. However, it would be *very* handy to have the checkbox back in the VM wizard itself.

Would opening a BZ ticket at least reopen the possibility to reconsider that decision?
Thanks anyway.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico