Re: List-Archives ...

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 09:30:42AM +0200, Ján Tomko wrote:
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 01:04:37PM +0200, thg wrote:
Hi everybody,

actually I wanted to search the list archive, before asking, but
unfortunately I don't "get" it:

$ gunzip 2018-May.txt.gz
gunzip: 2018-May.txt.gz: not in gzip format

It seems, that in every archive-file there is always one message in
plaintext and then a big binary block.

Any hint?

Try a different application to download the file.

Years ago wget did not work for me because of some Content-Encoding
problems, so I had to use Firefox.

(I don't remember whether the server sends incorrect headers or if
the handling in wget was broken, but it works for me now even with
wget)

IMHO there are two different gzip compressions applied, one for the file and one
for the transfer.  If you have new enough wget, then downloading it with
--compression auto (experimental in 1.19.5) should create valid txt.gz files
that you can just gunzip [1] cleanly without errors.

Jano

Martin

[1] Usually when I think of some stupid joke (or maybe just stupidity in this
   case) it already exists on the internet.  But now either my google-fu is
   weak with me or there is no picture of a gun with a zipper on it.  So I
   can't attach any Gun Zip picture :(