Re: Make discard='unmap' the default?

On 06/01/2018 08:14 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
Yes, it inherits some defaults to libvirt and/or QEMU. If those are not
suitable for some reason, then virt-manager needs to override it. The
decision about whether to enable discard or not is a policy decision
that doesn't have a single perfect answer. So changing it in libvirt
might make it better for you, but worse for someone else. Libvirt does
not want to get into such debates, so leaves such decisions for the app
above to make, where there may well be more global context/knowledge
allowing a better choice.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the "default defaults" be changed,
I would just like to change the default on my personal system.

It sounds like you're saying that libvirt expects virt-manager to
override these settings (if it wants to), but virt-manager doesn't
provide any way to do so, since it just uses the defaults from libvirt/
QEMU.