Method for connecting to CDROM/DVD

Hi everyone, I have a question on connecting to hardware devices. With virt-
manager I am attempting to use a hardware cdrom/dvd drive from an Ubuntu 16.04
VM however, i keep getting "'host_cdrom' is not whitelisted" errors when
starting the VM. After some searching I checked my processor and realized it
does not support VT-d. Is this 1) a requirement for sharing the device with the
VM, and 2) the only way of sharing the device?