public IP for VM

I can't seem to figure out how to setup a public IP for the VM so we could use it as a second public webserver. The host machine runs our primary webserver with CentOS 6.9 and one public ipv4 address configured on physical interface eth0. Now i have configured a new bridge interface br0:
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static

The IP settings are for a second public ipv4 address in the same network. Now i setup the VM to use br0 for the NIC and set the same IP settings inside the VM... but it doesn't work. The VM can't resolve any hosts, and if i try to ssh to the second public IP, it just sends me to the host machine instead of the VM. I read the Bridged Networking section but it seems to want to set br0 to the public IP and not use eth0. I want to use two public IP's over the same shared phys interface, eth0 with our first IP and br0 with the second IP for the VM... or another similar configuration that will have the same effect.
Thanks