convert only partition instead of whole disk (virt-p2v)

Dear all,

I have a problem converting the partition from my physical disk using virt-p2v.

If I use the "default" configuration***, virt-p2v tries to convert the whole disk (500GB) to an image file (which get's the same size and is too big to handle for me).
My primary partition is only 210 GB (incl. 40 GB free space), so my goal would be to have an image file with 210 GB max.
I got some information that it should be possible to create an image first and transfer the data to the image file then.
I amanged to create the image file (# sudo qemu-img create -f raw /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm01.img 220G) but I don't know how to go on.
When I use the "default" configuration (with the default storage pool), it creates a new file (named "-sda" at the end and no file extension).
When I change the configuration to use "<storage format="raw" allocation="sparse">/var/lib/libvirt/images/vm01.img</storage>" or similar, I get the error
"output pool /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm01 is not a valid storage pool".
I also had a look on creating a new storage pool (via virt-manager), but I didn't find a solution.

Please help me figure this one out!

Thanks,
Juergen

***the configuration in the /etc/virt-v2v.config file is the following:
<profile name=kvm1>
<method>libvirt</method>
<storage format="raw" allocation="sparse">default</storage>
<network type="default">
    <network type="network" name="default"/>
</network>
</profile>