Re: virt-install creates a snapshot as the volume backend

Thanks Jan.

I upgraded to 0.10.2 again, and specified "sparse=false" and it worked perfectly.

On 04/29/2013 06:11 PM, Ján Tomko wrote:
On 04/28/2013 12:55 AM, Ahmed Ossama wrote:
Greetings All,

I was running libvirt-0.9.10 on CentOS 6.3 and it was working perfectly until
yesterday when I decided to update to 6.4, which upgraded libvirt-0.9.10 to
libvirt-0.10.2.

I have a storage pool of type volume group, upon upgrading to libvirt-0.10.2,
the disk image gets created as a snapshot on the volume group not as a regular
volume.

Now every time I create a vm using virt-install on a vg, the lv gets created
as a snapshot not a regular lv, as a result I get the following error when I
run dmesg:

     device-mapper: snapshots: Invalidating snapshot: Unable to allocate exception.
     Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 128251
and the following on the domain's log file:

     block I/O error in device 'drive-virtio-disk0': Input/output error (5)

# virt-install --name="ns1" --vcpus="2" --check-cpu --ram=512
--os-variant="rhel6" --network "bridge=br0" --disk
"pool=vdisks,size=22,cache=writeback" --vnc --hvm --vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
--cdrom="/mnt/ISOs/centos/x86_64/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso" --hvm
# lvs | grep ns
   ns1.img          vm_volumes swi-aos--   4.00m      [ns1.img_vorigin]   0.00

When I try to create a volume using virt-manager on the volume group, it gets
created as a snapshot. But when I create a volume using virsh, it gets created
correctly;

     virsh # vol-create-as vdisks test 23622320128

     # lvs | grep test
       test             vm_volumes -wi-a----  22.00g

If anyone came across this issue or can provide an advice, I will appreciate
it so much.

--
Best Regards,
Ahmed Ossama

Hello,

since 0.10.2 libvirt creates sparse logical volumes when the requested
allocation is less than requested capacity. Unlike sparse files, these don't
grow automatically and you get an I/O error if you fill them up. [1]

virt-install requests an allocation of 0, which libvirt interprets as the
smallest possible value of 4MB. Unfortunately, you can't specify a different
allocation value at virt-install command line, but a fix that uses the same
allocation and capacity for logical volumes is committed upstream already [2]
and should be fixed in next release.

In virt-manager, you should be able to set the allocation to the same value
manually.

Jan

[1] http://libvirt.org/formatstorage.html#StorageVolFirst

[2] https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/virt-manager.git/commit/?id=590c8dbe
commit 590c8dbebfddb71874de7a98e579264ebae6859f
Author:     Martin Kletzander <mkletzan@xxxxxxxxxx>
AuthorDate: 2013-04-02 13:51:28 +0200
     Don't support sparse logical volumes

     Sparse logical volumes are supported by libvirt, but only in case the
     user takes care of the reallocation, which is not what virt-install
     and virt-manager users want.  This patch defaults the logical volumes
     to non-sparse ones and makes sure allocation is always equal to
     capacity for such volumes.

--
Best Regards,
Ahmed Ossama