Secure communication from host to guest

Hi,

On boot, I'd like to pass a public key to the VM to use for root ssh logins, and obviously only the user that started the VM on the host should be able to send the key. What's the best way to pass this kind of information into the VM? I thought about using a serial port connected to a fifo on the host, but I'd rather not deal with serial programming if I can avoid it...

Thanks,
Shea