Deleting and coalescing live snapshots

All,

I have a service that takes new live KVM snapshots Si regularly, keeps a fixed number N (Si ,..,Si-N+1), and therefore needs to delete Si-N in this cycle.

Until libvirt includes support for this capability that is said to be available in qemu, what is a safe workflow to delete old live KVM snapshots w/o losing data. Do I need to pause/shut down the VM?

The development environment is Fedora 18 with qemu, libvirtd and libvirt upgrades to the more recent stable versions.

    Harald Skardal,

    Stratus Technologies.