Re: Virsh cmd virsh -c qemu:///system fail with ssh connect a non-root user.

On 12/07/2012 12:56 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 12/06/2012 02:53 AM, yupzhang wrote:
HI Eric,

I have a question about remote access and usermode:

1.Install a host with graphic,and then configure libvirt environment.

2.Login with non-root user.Then run:
$ virsh -c qemu:///system
Authenticate dialogue will pop up,input the root password,then
successfully connect qemu:///system.

3.On another host,connect the host in step 1 with ssh like this:
#ssh -X yuping@10.66.*.*
input yuping's password.Then ssh to remote yuping user successfully.

4.Run command:
$ virsh -c qemu:///system
error: authentication failed: Authorization requires authentication but
no agent is available.

error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Is this a bug? I'm not sure about this,so confirm with you.
Questions like this are better asked to the libvirt-users@xxxxxxxxxx
list, where there are more people available to answer the question.
This particular email nearly got lost in the black hole of a hard disk
failure on my end last week.

Does the failure also happen when you use 'ssh -A -X' and/or 'ssh -Y'
instead of plain 'ssh -X'?  I suspect that this is an expected
limitation of how polkit authentication works, where a local user can be
trusted to provide the credentials needed, but where an ssh session is
not a local user; but as I am not very familiar with the libvirt code
that interacts with polkit, I recommend that you ask the list.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply,I have added libvirt-users@ to cc list.
I have tried 'ssh -A -X' and 'ssh -Y',still failed:
$ virsh -c qemu:///system
error: authentication failed: Authorization requires authentication but no agent is available.

error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Yuping

In my opinion,this command should connect qemu:///system successfully
with input root password,even with ssh connect to non-root user,the
behaviour should keep same.Am I right?
Authentication is a tricky matter - there is a difference between a
local user and a user connected through ssh, at least in the eyes of
polkit authentication, and I don't know if the behavior you observe is
intentional or a bug.