Re: About IBM PowerVM hypervisor support

On 07/04/2012 03:26 PM, Matthias Bolte wrote:
2012/7/4 Dennis Chen<dennis.chen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

I noticed that libvirt support the following hypervisors currently:

The KVM/QEMU Linux hypervisor
The Xen hypervisor on Linux and Solaris hosts.
The LXC Linux container system
The OpenVZ Linux container system
The User Mode Linux paravirtualized kernel
The VirtualBox hypervisor
The VMware ESX and GSX hypervisors
The VMware Workstation and Player hypervisors
The Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor

"the goal of libvirt: to provide a common and stable layer sufficient to
securely manage domains on a node, possibly remote."

My question is, does redhat's libvirt team have the plan to support IBM
PowerVM hypervisor? If the answer is NO, what's the reason to make the
support for IBM PowerVM hypervisor doesn't make sense...
Well, libvirt aleady has support for the 'IBM Power Hypervisor' for a
while now, called 'phyp' internally in the codebase, see

http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=tree;f=src/phyp

It's just lacking documentation and for some unknown reason is not
mentioned on the homepage. We should fix this.

Adding Eduardo who is the author of the phyp driver...

Eduardo, is the libvirtd daemon necessary for libvirt-based to manage the PowerVM node? I guess so, if it's the case, then what's the environment in the PowerVM-based node to run the libvirtd daemon, is it vios?

BRs,
Dennis