Re: Can I configure cores instead of CPU's

On 3/12/2011 9:53 AM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
-------- Original message --------
Subject: Re: Can I configure cores instead of CPU's
From: Todd And Margo Chester<toddandmargo@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "libvirt-users@xxxxxxxxxx"<libvirt-users@xxxxxxxxxx>
CC:

Hi All,

Scientific Linux 6.1 x64
qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.160.el6_1.2.x86_64

My XP-Pro guest will only let me use two CPUs.
Is there a way I can tell Virt-Manager to use
one CPU with six cores instead of four separate
CPUs?

I can manually insert things with
virsh edit KVM-WinXP

Currently, I have:
<vcpu>6</vcpu>

I found an example of a run string:

-smp 2,sockets=2,cores=1,threads=1

But I will be darned if I can figure out the virsh xml syntax.

Many thanks,
-T
On 12/02/2011 05:32 PM, Frank Hauptle wrote:
> Yes under advanced in cpu in virt manager are socket /core
> settings. i use a fedora virt manager to connect to sl61
> libvirt. more options that way.

I configured my processor in virt-mamager:

CPU's: Current Allocation: 2
Manual set CPU Topology:
Sockets: 1
Cores: 6
Threads: 1

or from my XML file

<vcpu>1</vcpu>
<cpu>
<topology sockets='1' cores='6' threads='1'/>
</cpu>

I still get two CPUs in my guest XP-Pro.

What am I doing wrong?

-T