renaming a domain

Hello,

In my system a VM  with a given domain name is defined and started. At a certain point I will define and start a new VM, with a different name. I then want to dispose of the old VM and rename the new one to the old one. Unfortunately I didn’t find any API to do the last  step. Is it possible to change the domain name of a running VM?

Thanks,

              Roberto