Re: XML file format for snapshot-create

On 10/12/2011 11:30 AM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
I've created a very basic snapshot XML file, to allow for a description of
the snapshot.  However when running the virsh command, it doesn't like the
formatting.

# virsh snapshot-create proxy_0 /vmstore/proxy_0/proxy_0_ss.xml
error: XML description for failed to parse snapshot xml document is not well
formed or invalid

That's because:

This are the XML file contents...

# cat proxy_0_ss.xml
<domainsnapshot>
   <name></name>

If <name> is present, it must not be empty.

   <description>Before updating to CR repo</desciption>
</domainsnapshot>

If you want libvirt to generate the name for you, then omit <name>; otherwise, provide a non-empty name alongside your description.

I'm running libvirt-0.8.7 on CentOS 6 x86_64.  I can take snapshots just
fine without defining the XML file, but I'd like to be able to add a
description.

Newer libvirt also has:

virsh snapshot-create-as --description 'Before updating to CR repo' proxy_0

which creates the XML for you, and thus is a bit easier to use. Alas, that would mean you'd have to upgrade.

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682