Re: Libvirt daemon usage question

[let's keep the list in the loop]

On 09/14/2011 04:07 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
Given your original qeustion, if your management apps really do require
0.8.8 APIs, then you'll need to upgrade libvirtd on your CentOS host to be
at least 0.8.8 in order to honor your management app requests, or else
modify your management app to gracefully implement fallbacks to older API
approaches that were available in 0.8.1.

How risky is it to implement a newer version of libvirt in something like
centos?  I figure based on the huge number of dependencies that its not
something to safely do.  So far we building my libvirt rpms Ive only used
the same source for the version with centos and the libvirt specs provided
in the fedora src rpms.  Do the specs know to check for specific versions of
dependencies?

There's not that many source dependencies for building a newer libvirt out-of-the-box on top of CentOS. You might also find https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository as a useful example for the amount of effort involved in running newer virt tools on top of an otherwise stable repository. Also, search the list archives; the topic of installing the latest libvirt on CentOS or RHEL 5 has come up several times recently, with various tidbits of good advice.

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682