Re: network interface management in bridge firewall configuration

 On 06/17/2010 11:01 AM, Aleksander Trofimowicz wrote:
Hello,

I'm just wondering why I can't manage my network interfaces  through
libvirt when the following kernel parameters are turned on:

net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables

Is it a bug or by design?

There should be no problems with this. The only place any of these are used in netcf is that net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables is checked at one point, and if it's set to 1, an attempt is made to assure traffic can pass through all the bridges by parsing /etc/sysconfig/iptables and adding appropriate rules (see the function bridge_physdevs() in netcf if you're into looking at source code).

One thing that has shown up recently is that when bridge-nf-call-iptables is 1, if /etc/sysconfig/iptables is empty or malformed, netcf will fail to initialize. There have been a couple of bugs filed against RHEL for this, but they haven't yet been cloned upstream. Just to verify this is actually the problem, can you check your /etc/sysconfig/iptables to see if it is 0 length (and if so, put some basic rules in and try again)?