Re: Snapshots - can't take a snapshot with running VM

On 15/06/10 17:53, Julian Robbins wrote:
>  Can I really only create snapshots of a vm when it isnt running ?
No, you should be able to take a snapshot both while it is running and
while it is off. However, they use different mechanisms so there could be
a bug in the online version.  What version of qemu/kvm are you running?
Also, do you have apparmor enabled/running? If so, and if the apparmor policy
hasn't been updated, that might be the source of your problems.

I've disabled AppArmor for now and it works fine, so there is some unwanted issue there. Strangely, looking again apparmor is still enabled when guest is running after reboot. Possibly rebooting the guest and using dynamic appamor instead of static has helped ?

I'm using vers 1.84 of QEMU/Kvm from dnjl's PPA for Lucid.

After trying again, I can no longer get snapshots to work whilst vm guest in running.

I have disabled apparmor so that it is only in 'complain' mode on the host, but still get :-

Error -5 while writing VM

whilst trying a

virsh # snapshot-create openerp

Whether running virsh as normal user or root. I'm also getting

'libvirtError: Timed out during operation: cannot acquirestate change lock' errors too, after I've tried to take a snapshot.

So it appears that perhaps there is a bug where snapshots cannot always be made online. I have taken some successful snapshots online, but none recently.

Interestingly, I can never get the 'Security' setting in the guest to stick to be 'none' for the apparmor Model either static or dynamic. Even after a reboot of the guest, the setting stays always to dynamic.

Hoping someone can help - don't want to leave using KVM/libvirt .....

--
Kind regards

Julian