Re: Revisiting parallel save/restore

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 04:41:02PM -0600, Jim Fehlig via Devel wrote:
> On 4/17/24 5:12 PM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > While Fabiano has been working on improving save/restore performance in
> > qemu, I've been tinkering with the same in libvirt. The end goal is to
> > introduce a new VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_PARALLEL flag for save/restore, along
> > with a VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_PARAM_PARALLEL_CONNECTIONS parameter to specify
> > the number of concurrent channels used for the save/restore. Recall
> > Claudio previously posted a patch series implementing parallel
> > save/restore completely in libvirt, using qemu's multifd functionality
> > [1].
> >
> > A good starting point on this journey is supporting the new mapped-ram
> > capability in qemu 9.0 [2]. Since mapped-ram is a new on-disk format, I
> > assume we'll need a new QEMU_SAVE_VERSION 3 when using it? Otherwise I'm
> > not sure how to detect if a saved image is in mapped-ram format vs the
> > existing, sequential stream format.
>
> While hacking on a POC, I discovered the save data cookie and assume the use
> of mapped-ram could be recorded there?

The issue with that is the semantics around old libivrt loading
the new image. Old libvirt won't know to look for 'mapped-ram'
element/attribute in the XML cookie, so will think it is a
traditional image with hilariously predictable results :-)

Hence I think mapped-ram needs some addition/change to the
save image header that explicitly stops old libvirt trying
to consume it, thus the version bump you mention.

With regards,
Daniel