Revisiting parallel save/restore

Hi All,

While Fabiano has been working on improving save/restore performance in qemu, I've been tinkering with the same in libvirt. The end goal is to introduce a new VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_PARALLEL flag for save/restore, along with a VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_PARAM_PARALLEL_CONNECTIONS parameter to specify the number of concurrent channels used for the save/restore. Recall Claudio previously posted a patch series implementing parallel save/restore completely in libvirt, using qemu's multifd functionality [1].

A good starting point on this journey is supporting the new mapped-ram capability in qemu 9.0 [2]. Since mapped-ram is a new on-disk format, I assume we'll need a new QEMU_SAVE_VERSION 3 when using it? Otherwise I'm not sure how to detect if a saved image is in mapped-ram format vs the existing, sequential stream format.

IIUC, mapped-ram cannot be used with the exiting 'fd:' migration URI and instead must use 'file:'. Does qemu advertise support for that? I couldn't find it. If not, 'file:' (available in qemu 8.2) predates mapped-ram, so in theory we could live without the advertisement.

It's also not clear when we want to enable the mapped-ram capability. Should it always be enabled if supported by the underlying qemu? One motivation for creating the mapped-ram was to support direct-io of the migration stream in qemu, in which case it could be tied to VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_BYPASS_CACHE. E.g. the mapped-ram capability is enabled when user specifies VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_BYPASS_CACHE && user-provided path results in a seekable fd && qemu supports mapped-ram?

Looking ahead, should the mapped-ram capability be required for supporting the VIR_DOMAIN_SAVE_PARALLEL flag? As I understand, parallel save/restore was another motivation for creating the mapped-ram feature. It allows multifd threads to write exclusively to the offsets provided by mapped-ram. Can multiple multifd threads concurrently write to an fd without mapped-ram?

Regards,
Jim

[1] https://lists.libvirt.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/3Y5GMS6A4QS4IXWDKFFV3A2FO5YMCFES/ [2] https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/blob/master/docs/devel/migration/mapped-ram.rst?ref_type=heads