Re: Versioned CPU types in libvirt

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 18:13:41 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> But while doing that, I discovered that the creation of these xml
> definitions is largely undocumented. There is a
> 'src/cpu_map/sync_qemu_models.py' script which was clearly used to
> generate them originally.

Not really, most of the models were manually translated from QEMU source
code and the script was created later to help with identifying
differences and new features and CPU models.

> But when I run it against the current qemu codebase, it modifies quite
> a few of the CPU xml files. Most of the modifications are adding
> features that (I assume) qemu added to the CPU model after the initial
> xml files were generated.

Right, sometimes QEMU added new features to existing CPU models and
sometime existing features were removed. I believe they don't do so
anymore and introduce a new CPU model version instead.

> So, the question is: are these intended to kept up-to-date with qemu?
> The script name "sync_*" implies such, but I don't see much evidence
> that it is happening.

No the CPU models in libvirt are not supposed to be synchronized with
QEMU. The script does synchronize them, but the result needs careful
review and manual processing to avoid submitting changes to existing CPU
models to avoid breaking migration between different versions of
libvirt. You can use the script to quickly see what changed in QEMU on
existing models though.

Jirka