Re: PATCH: make debug builds quiet by default

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 05:13:47AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
During development I like to have the --enable-debug flag enabled all the
time because its very handy at times. I don't want it spewing to stderr
all the time though, just because I turned on the compile option. So this
patch adds an env variable 'LIBVIRT_DEBUG' which controls whether it is
chatty or not. So with this patch you can use --enable-debug all the time,
and just run

   LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 ./src/virsh ....

to turn it on for a particular test, or likewise for the daemon

  LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 ./qemud/libvirtd

  Hum, in other projects I have found that always compiling debug support in
but activating it using a command line flag or a environment variable to be
very useful, this helps people debug stuff by themselve or improve the
quality of the reports. Shouldn't we just do that ? it's not like anthing in libvirt is really timing critical or size matters that much, I can't
see a real drawback to making --enable-debug the default, if it requires
explicit activation.

+1 to DV's suggestion.

Rich.