RE: Disk detection with kickstart

From: kk s [mailto:kks.kbase@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 21 October 2012 22:51

Hi,

I have to provision the servers and all the servers are different disk types like hda, sda, xvda. So I have issue to detect the disk type itself with kickstart and make partitions. Does anyone have pre installation script that will do this job?

There was something about this earlier in the year – I can’t remember now if it was on kickstart-list or anaconda-devel.  Someone was saying that if you try to create partitions in %pre anaconda gets confused and can’t find them.  Does anyone else remember that thread?  You always need to write the partition instructions to a file and %include them back into your kickstart file.  You used to detect hard drives in %pre with list-harddrives although things change in anaconda so frequently it is difficult to give precise instructions.  With a kickstart file on USB drive for example, you could end up with the USB drive wiped and included in the Linux logical volume group if you were not careful.  As a first step, create a kickstart that just writes the output of list-harddrives to a file and see if it gives you anything you can use.

Moray.

“To err is human; to purr, feline.”