Re: kickstart dhcp issues

On 1/29/12 08:24 AM, kickstart-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

re-configuring the Cisco switch is not an option. i can't seem to find the right combination for dhcptimeout, nicdelay, linksleep options. ksdevice=eth0 seems not to take effect also. it keeps on asking me to select which eth to use
If you can't effect a change in the cisco switch, then it just may not work.

It's not just a matter of portfast, if you're using vlans (I'm probably going to screw this up, I'm not as deeply versed in networks as I'd like) you need to have some sort of dhcp helper line. Cisco's documentation says:

"""
To forward the BootP/DHCP request from the client to the DHCP server, the ip helper-address interface command is used. The IP helper-address can be configured to forward any UDP broadcast based on UDP port number. By default, the IP helper-address will forward the following UDP broadcasts:

* Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) (port 69)
* DNS (port 53), time service (port 37)
* NetBIOS name server (port 137)
* NetBIOS datagram server (port 138)
* Boot Protocol (DHCP/BootP) client and server datagrams (ports 67 and 68)
* Terminal Access Control Access Control System (TACACS) service (port 49)
* IEN-116 name service (port 42)
"""

You would need a line like "ip helper-address 172.30.23.34".

I suspect that if you can't modify the switch config at all then you're hosed.