RE: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

When you boot the installer, it creates a running system with / and /tmp
directories in a RAM-disk.  That's a part of memory that has been configured
to look like a disk with filesystems.  That is what the %pre example you
quoted is using.  Your real disk partitions have not been created yet.  The
usual use of %pre is to work out how the real disk should be partitioned.
After the installer creates the real partitions, it mounts them under
/mnt/sysimage from its RAM-disk, in order to write files to them.  When the
system boots the new operating system, the real disk partitions get mounted
in their proper places and the RAM-disk contents are lost.

"Two boot sequences" doesn't look right - although I've never tried what
you're describing.  I would imagine that it _boots_ from the minimal
bootable CD and then loads stuff from the DVD image.  In that case, where
you would just press <ENTER> or type linux text <ENTER> to start the
installer, you would type linux  ks=  with whatever the path to your
kickstart file is.  If you have a floppy disk, that's still the easiest way
to specify a kickstart file; a USB floppy is the next easiest.  I'm sure
there has been advice on working out the correct device path for USB
kickstart on on this list before - have a look through the archives.  An
ordinary USB stick is possible, but you do need to be careful that it
doesn't get incorporated into the filesystems for the installed system and
reformatted.

Let's step back a bit, though.  What do you need to change in login.defs,
and what "fake users" are being assigned?  There may be a better way to fix
this.

Moray.
"To err is human; to purr, feline."