Re: 3rd Party Software Install - Kickstart

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 11:09 -0500, Hugh Brown wrote:
> In our post section, we mount an nfs share that has a collection of
> scripts.  The scripts install rpm's from our yum repository or they
> untar tarballs for some of the large 3rd party software.

NFS is fine to utilize, and some do for the Anaconda source as well.  It
is likely faster overall.

HTTP is typically done as well, and "curl" is included with the Anaconda
image.  HTTP doesn't require a mount, which has some advantages over
NFS.

If something is not in RPM, as Hugh mentioned, you can script and
install it.  Most 3rd party software have the option to take an answer
file as a parameter, and an interactive install session is typically not
an option.  Some others can be broken down into RPMs so they can be in a
YUM repository or pushed to a Spacewalk/RHN server.

--
Bryan J Smith        Senior Consultant        Red Hat, Inc
Professional Consulting   http://www.redhat.com/consulting