Re: initiating kickstart install from fc9 media

Richard wrote:
Hi John,

thanks for the reply.

john> "media" refers to the actual boot disk, not to the install tree.

Yes. That's what I was referring to - the boot disk created from one of Fedora-9-i386-disc1.iso, Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso or Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso. My problem was that whichever one I booted from I could not find the stage where I could add the necessary "linux ks=http://... etc." commands in the format that I used on older versions of fedora which is the same as the format shown in the current anaconda / kickstart documentation.

Since posting my question on this mailing list I have resolved my problem.
With Fedora 9 media you can initiate a kickstart installation by editing one of the standard grub menu options (hitting TAB when the menu is displayed) and ADDING "linux ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0" to the existing text on the command line i.e. "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img". On earlier versions of Fedora, I simply entered the "linux ks=... " etc. on a blank "boot:" prompt. The Fedora 9 installer appears to "leap frog" the stage in the boot process where you previously had the option to open the boot: prompt directly (though you do see this stage flash past on the display).

Alternatively, you can hit the ESCAPE key when the menu is displayed which drops you to the boot: prompt. From here the kickstart initiation is exactly as per old/existing docs.

So the process is ....
   1.  insert CD or DVD
   2.  power on computer
   3.  wait for "Welcome to Fedora 9" menu

Then either ..
   4.  hit the TAB key
5. command line is displayed already showing "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img" 6. edit line to read "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img linux ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0" and hit the enter key

.. or ..
   4.  hit the ESCAPE key
   5.  boot prompt is displayed
6. enter "linux ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0" and hit the enter key

I-m _sure_ that's what I did years ago, say RHL 7.x or so.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait