Re: pump told us: No DHCP reply received

> What version of RHEL are you trying to install?
>
> I believe you have two different problems here.  The first is DHCP
> related, the second is with your RPM's.  Isolate one problem at a time
> and life will be much easier.
>
> I'm not as familiar with the Alcatel switch, I'm a Cisco guy, but the
> problem you are describing regarding DHCP sounds like the portfast issue
> that we always see on this list.  Basically, the NIC cycles itself 3
> different times during a build.  The first time is during pxeboot.
> After the pxe information is sent, the nic is recycled and must
> re-negotiate with the switch.  If portfast is not enabled, then the
> request times out before spanning tree allows the NIC to begin
> communications.
>
> Steps you can take include assigning the IP on the boot: line instead of
> via DHCP, and using ethtool on the boot: line like this:
>
> ksdevice=eth0 eth0_ethtool="autoneg=off speed=100 duplex=full"
>
> or
>
> ksdevice=eth0 eth0_ethtool="speed=1000 autoneg=on duplex=full"

I'm trying to install RHEL4.

I will talk to the network guy about whether or not portfast (or whatever it's
called in the non-Cisco world) is switched on (fast flooding, maybe?) ...

I am going to have to check that RPM again but I'd swear on something valuable
it was still intact.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chip ... something to work with, finally.

Klaus