Re: Specifying values dynamically using pre section

Philip Rowlands wrote:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Ajitabh Pandey wrote:

I have all the RPMS on an HTTP server and using the following line I start my kickstart. Somce servers are 32-bit and some are 64-bit.

url --url http://debian-management-server/rhel/rhel4/amd-64/

At present I have to manually change the above URL in my base
kickstart file if I have to install on a 32-bit machine. Like, I use

url --url http://debian-management-server/rhel/rhel4/i386/

I am sure there is a dynamic way of specifying such differences in the form of variables in the pre section of the kickstart. If yes, can someone give some examples. This will also help me in setting up the hostname, ip-address and so on dynamically.

Where does your kickstart file live? You could use %pre, but another approach would be to generate the file dynamically with a CGI script, served via HTTP.

I don't have any example for this, sorry.

I do :)

http://et.redhat.com/page/Cobbler_&_Koan_Provisioning_Tools

Cobbler is a simple tool that sets up a provisioning server. It supports kickstart templating through the "Cheetah" templating language, so all sorts of magic can be done in the kickstarts.

Cobbler has been approved for FC-Extras, just not built yet, so you'll have to grab it from the URL above. As a bonus, it can re-provisioning existing systems (non-bare metal) and can deal with Xen as well. Kickstart templating works for all three modes -- PXE, re-provisioning (auto-kickstart), and Xen.

Let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,
Phil