Re: comps RPM

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Curtis Doty wrote:

Matt Sturtz wrote:

On a somewhat related note (to my previous question), is there a
simple procedure documented someplace for rebuilding the comps.rpm
file with the new package information?  Seems like this should be
part of my package update process...

I've still to figure out what value this RPM actually offers. What is its
history, and what is it supposed to do?

The only thing that uses comps.rpm is system-config-packages (previously redhat-config-packages), whether you consider that to be of any value is ... well, up to you :)

Apt + Synaptic can use it as well through extensions for group operations but whether anybody cares anymore ... I guess not. And the apt+synaptic support doesn't actually need the rpm itself, it just needs a file in format of comps.xml file somewhere on local fs.

	- Panu -