Re: Updating RH 9 RPMS on NFS Server

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:06:44AM -0700, Gabby James wrote:
> I am using RH 9.  I kickstart via an NFS server.  Originally, I had copied
> the RH 9 CD's to a RedHat directory on my server.  I'm sure some of the
> RPMs have changed since RH 9 came out, so I would like to update the RPMs
> on my server so the next systems kickstarted get the updated packages.
> What is the best way to do this?  People on the list mentioned creating a
> RHupdates directory and copying a update-disk-*.img from the RH FTP server.
> Is this the way to do it?  Where is this img file located at?  I find older
> img files but nothing for RH 9.

There's probably more than one way to do it, but I think (basically)
all you need to do is (a) replace the old RPMs in your installation
tree with the updated ones, (b) run /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist
[which is in the anaconda-runtime package], giving it the pathname to
the top of your tree as an argument.

I used to do this manually, now have a Perl script to do it
automatically. Slightly out-of-date documentation is here:
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~pas/hacks/merge_rpms/
[No warranties expressed or implied, etc.]

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | I keep waiting to be dragged off by the
-- University of New Hampshire  | Competence Police, but they're apparently