RE: Post installation problem with chkconfig

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Tony Ladd wrote:

>According to the chkconfig man page --del is OK. I prefer to delete the
>service rather than just turn it off.

As you wish :) This way you'll duplicate the work of the package's
preuninstall script, and you won't get a clean shutdown of any service
which happens to have been started ad-hoc, rather than at bootup. See
/etc/rc.d/rc section "# First, run the KILL scripts". chkconfig --del
renders that ineffective.

>I have already tried the off option and again these services are not
>turned off during post installation even on levels 3,4,5, but they are
>if the script is run after a reboot.

Hmm - you could dump the output from "find /etc/rc*" before and after
running chkconfig, then diff them.

Cheers,
Phil